Monday, September 24, 2007

Ph.innaly D.one: Now New and Improved

Just fyi, I managed to successfully defend the old dissertation on Friday. Now I just have to get the old thing into the proper format, have it printed, and turn it into the proper authorities. It all went fine and if you want to see pictures check out the Wifelet's blog. I would have, but she hogged the computer on Sunday and I was forced to set several new Mario Cart: Double Dash records on our Youth Ministers Gamecube.

And now, because you know you want to read 229 pages about a small clam nobody but crabs like, you can download and read my dissertation following the link on the right.

And because I know you need a real reason: it contains a beautiful picture of my wife (page iii), and another of my daughter (page 229).

5 Comments:

At 1:25 PM , Blogger Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

woo hoo! hoorah for you! and clearly, onto more pressing matters, such as mariocart. at least you've got your priorities straight.

 
At 10:09 PM , Blogger Nate said...

Thank you for posting a link. I now have something to do with some of my time :)

 
At 12:17 AM , Blogger Nate said...

After doing a bit of reading, my only comment is "You biologists need to learn LaTeX!"

On second thought, you're in biology, so it would probably cause you more trouble then it's worth.

 
At 8:46 AM , Blogger Chris said...

Possibly. The chapters are generally in the format required by the journals we sent/will send them to, and they all want the tables and figures on separate pages at the end of the manuscript, not integrated into the text. I may try it out one day, but my next major program is going to be R.

 
At 1:30 AM , Blogger Nate said...

I'm glad you're moved and in one piece :)

Why does the placement of the graphics always come up when I talk about LaTeX? Sorry, that was actually a petition to the Almighty ;) LaTeX lets you put figures and tables wherever you want, quite easily. Most people I know who use LaTeX put figures in the text because they don't know to do otherwise, so maybe that's the source of the confusion.

What I was thinking about mostly was the file format the journal wants. (I'm not sure if by format you mean file format or what nobody calls "layout format.") As of a couple years ago, a few of my biology friends published in journals that required rtf or doc files. LaTeX only gives ps, dvi, and pdf without extra trouble, and even then it's easiest with eps or pdf graphics. If you can't submit using one of those formats, LaTeX becomes extra work.

On the bright side of LaTeX, you nc save time to balance out the losses. You get equation numbers for free. You can easily steal or make what you need to get references the way you need them for any particular journal. You exchange thoughts like "2, 3, 5, 4... no, that's not right" for thoughts like "D#$%ed compiler! Why are you making my document A4 and turning my figures upside down again? This revision is due tomorrow!"

Have fun with R. It looks like a hoot :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home